In 1799 the North West and Hudson’s Bay companies set up rival posts at the end of the fur trade line on the North Saskatchewan River. Competition for trade was fierce at Rocky Mountain House, and during its 76-year history, nine different Aboriginal cultures came here to trade. Explorer, fur trader and mapmaker, David Thompson used the North West Company post as a base for finding a pass across the Rocky Mountains. Located 6 miles west of downtown Rocky Mountain House, Parks Canada now protects the archaeological remains of four trading posts and presents the site’s history. Leashed pets are welcome on the grounds.