Lachine Canal stretches 14.5 km from the Old Port to Lake Saint-Louis. Open to shipping in 1825, tens of thousands of ships took this route before construction of the St. Lawerence Seaway led to its closing in 1970. Since then, millions of cyclists and pedestrains have visited the canals banks to enjoy countless details that evoke the past. Pets are welcome as long as they are kept on a leash, do not disturb other visitors, and any evidence of their passage is promptly removed. Please note that the Promenade Père-Marquette park is leased to the Lachine borough which prohibits dogs from entering its parks.